BoG Minuets for October 2014Minutes of a regular scheduled meeting of Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church Board of Governance (BoG) held at San Lorenzo, Ca on October 14, 2014 at 6:30 pm.
The meeting was called to order by Toni Troya, Chairperson. BoG members in attendance: Barbara Adams, Secretary, Carole Adams, Treasurer, and Sarah Anderson. Absent: Rick English
Admin: Pastor, Kelly Smith; Superintendent, Dr. Mike Chivalette
Congregation members: Finance Chairperson: Barbara Goldhammer; Hank Blank, Elder
Devotion: Taken from Daily Guidepost – How The Son Was Taught By His Heavenly Family – Mathew 4:19 , 20.
Prayer by all.
Minutes from September, 2014 BoG meeting confirmed.
Financial Report: Provided by Barbara Goldhammer. We had discussion regarding the line of credit and CD but more information was needed and will be further discussed at the next meeting.
School Report: Superintendent, Dr. C: ( See the October 14, 2014 Report attached for complete details)
Facilities Properties: Submitted by Frank Mitchell: A 4 foot bench and 6 foot bench were ordered on the 16 October 2014 in memory of Holly.
Pastor's Report: Pastor Kelly: (See Pastor's written report for full details). Pastor and Elders still working on Vision Statement and corresponding goals. Prayer chain procedures attached.
New Business: Discussion of Fundraising Request Forms. To be revised. Will be discussed at our Policy Meeting, Tuesday, 28 October 2014. Briefly discussed the Calvary Lutheran Church and School sign between Admin & Parish Hall buildings. New oven installed at the parsonage.
Next scheduled regular BoG meeting Monday, 3 November 2014, 6:30 pm.
Minutes prepared by Barbara Adams
October 14, 2014
Pastor's Report To BOG
Mission: To pray for those in need.
James 5:16 reminds us to "...Pray for each other so that you may be healed.
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
To communicate the prayer needs that are shared with the Church with those who have asked to be included on the "Prayer Chain." The Church office shall:
1. Gather a list of names and email addresses for those interested in praying for others in need. Add and remove names and emails as needed.
2. Receive Prayer requests for others in person or via electronic means
3. Communicate the Prayer Request via email as soon as possible.
The Church office shall make people aware of the availability of the Prayer Chain via Bulletin and Chronicle. Included in such notifications should be the Church email and office hours.
Prayer Requests should be sent to Churchsecretary@calvaryslz.org For requests made when the Church office is closed, the Prayer Chain message shall be sent on the next 'business' day.
In cases of emergency and when the office is closed, an email request should be sent to the Pastor at firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Emergency Prayer Request." Pastor shall then activate the Prayer Chain as soon as possible.
Due to previous issues resulting from the usage of the same email list by the School and Church, the Prayer Chain emails are sent via an entirely different email system. This change also means that the School Secretary has no way to send out Prayer Chain Requests.
Dr. Michael Hemme Chivalette
October 14, 2014
I. Communication & Marketing
A. Successful outdoor education experience for 7 & 8 grade students
B. Completed revised Middle School Handbook – emailed to all MS parents
C. Completed revised PK-8 School Handbook – emailed to all CLS parents
D. Marketing: I would like the Board of Governors and Calvary Church family to provide me with initial contacts
outside of our school and congregation – people of influence you can connect me with on behalf of CLS:
1) Influential business leaders
2) Community leaders
3) Community groups and organizations
E. SLZ Homeowners Harvest Festival on October 25
1) CLS will once again have a booth and handout candy while taking part in the parade beginning at 9:00 a.m.
A. Professional Staff Development & In-Service Training
September 17: "Student Engagement: Measuring and studying this critical factor regarding student achievement"
October 15: "The Motivating Classroom"
B. Informal Classroom Observations
• Informal observations occur 2-3 times per semester – next one will be early November
• Formal classroom observations occur twice annually (Mid-November and early March)
• All part-time and full-time instructors
C. Separation of first and second grades based upon size of class
1) Mrs. Pam Smith will teach first grade (10 boys and 3 girls) math, reading, spelling ½ day. She is a graduate of Bowling Green University
with an elementary education degree
2) Mrs. Smith will begin October 20th, the first day of second quarter marking period
3) First grade will be re-located to room 8 on October 20th
4) Parent letter was sent on October 13 by Dr. C notifying change (previous letter sent by Dr. C laid the foundation for change in separating grades 1 and 2)
D. WASC accreditation visit moved from Spring 2015 to fall of 2015
1) CLS charged $500 to change visitation date
A. Overseeing budget working in conjunction with Barb and Stacey
B. Seeking financial help for one family in particular – financial aid due to loss of job by father (two children attending)
C. Reviewing budget (line item areas) with Stacey and Barb
1) Seeking to find areas to reduce spending – very lean budget
D. CFA fundraisers
1) Curb painting house numbers ( re-scheduled for later date)
2) Used clothing drive
IV. Facilities – including traffic for drop off and pick up
A. Continuing to discard clutter and outdated texts in rooms 7 & 8
B. Looking to re-paint both Superintendent's office and main school office (during Thanksgiving break)
C. Recently addressed CLS parents regarding appropriate traffic flow and speed during drop off and pick up
To unsubscribe click here.
CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH & SCHOOL, 17200 VIA MAGDALENA, SAN LORENZO, California, 94580-2928, United States